This policy explains what information we gather when you visit the SKEIN website, and explains how that information is used. It is important for you to appreciate that the website provides links to other independent sites. This policy applies only to direct accesses to the SKEIN website. You will need to consult the appropriate information on other sites for information on their policies.
Changes to this policy
In common with most websites, this site automatically logs certain information about every request made (see below for more details). This information is used for system administration, for bug tracking, and for producing usage statistics. The logged information may be kept indefinitely. Relevant subsets of this data may be passed to computer security teams as part of investigations of computer misuse involving this site or other computing equipment at SKEIN. Data may be passed to the administrators of other computer systems to enable investigation of problems accessing this site or of system miss-configurations. Data may incidentally be included in information passed to computer maintenance organisations working for the SKEIN, in which case it will be covered by appropriate non-disclosure agreements. Otherwise the logged information is not passed to any third party except if required by law. Summary statistics are extracted from this data and some of these may be made publicly available, but those that are do not include information from which individuals could be identified. [You should appreciate that a log is a record of what a server sees, not necessarily what was initially sent. If a request is sent via a proxy the log file will show the proxy's address. If someone has forged your address the log file will show your address.]
A number of online forms are provided on this site. The pages containing these forms include information on how data submitted on them will be processed and used.
The following data is automatically logged for each request:
- The name or network address of the computer making the request. Note that under some (but not all) circumstances it may be possible to infer from this the identity of the person making the request. Note also that the data recorded may be that of a web proxy rather than that of the originating client;
- The username, when known during authenticated (logged in) access to the site;
- The date and time of connection;
- The HTTP request, which contains the identification of the document requested;
- The status code of the request (success or failure etc.);
- The number of data bytes sent in response;
- The contents of the HTTP Referrer header supplied by the browser;
- The content of the HTTP User-Agent header supplied by the browser;
- Logging of additional data may be enabled temporarily from time to time for specific purposes. In addition, the computers on which the website is hosted keep records of attempts (authorised and unauthorised) to use them for purposes other than access to the web server. This data typically includes the date and time of the attempt, the service to which access was attempted, the name or network address of the computer making the connection, and may include details of what was done or was attempted to be done.
Access to personal data
Links to other sites
Collecting your personal information
We will ask you when we need information that personally identifies you (personal information) or allows us to contact you. Generally, this information is requested when you are asked to register to create a login account, before sending an online feedback form, or an online application form. When you provide your personal information, a profile is created. If you ever want to review or update your profile, simply visit the SKEIN website and edit your personal information. We'll ask you to disclose your User ID and Password so that only you can access your profile. The SKEIN website assigns a personal identification number and sends it to your computer in the form of a small text file, called a "cookie." The use of this cookie allows you to visit other password-restricted portions of the SKEIN website - for which you have security access - without having to sign in again.
Use of your personal information
We use your personal information for the primary purposes of completing our feedback form.
Control of your personal information
When you register, or otherwise give us personal information, SKEIN will not share that information with third parties without your permission, other than for the limited exceptions already listed.
Access to your personal information
We will provide you with the means to ensure that your personal information is correct and current. You may review and update this information at any time on www.skeinuk.co.uk.
- View and edit personal information you have already given us;
- Subscribe or unsubscribe to SKEIN email newsletters.
Security of your personal information
SKEIN strictly protects the security of your personal information and your choices for its intended use. We carefully protect your data from loss, misuse, unauthorized access or disclosure, alteration, or destruction. Your personal information is never shared outside SKEIN and our web designers without your permission, except under conditions explained above. Inside the website's database, data is stored in password-controlled servers with limited access. You also have a significant role in protecting your information. No one can see or edit your personal information without knowing your User ID and Password, so do not share these with others.